. A flying camp was a special force maintained in the field and designed to move rapidly
to wherever needed. On 3 June the congress had authorized such a force for the protection
of the middle colonies. It was to consist of 10,000 men drawn from the militia of
Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware and stationed at Perth Amboy, N. J. But the response
of the three provinces was insufficient, and such militia as did arrive at the camp
did not stay very long. The Flying Camp did not last beyond 1776 (
, 4:412–413; Christopher Ward, The War of the Revolution,
2 vols., N.Y., 1952, 1:204).